10 Proven Health Benefits of Coffee
Aside from being a delicious drink that perks you up, coffee is in fact very healthy. Loaded with nutrients and antioxidants, drinking coffee regularly can actually help improve your health.
Several studies also show that drinking coffee offers protection from some serious diseases.
Here are 10 benefits of coffee that are proven by science:
1. Coffee boosts your energy levels and can even make you smarter. Coffee helps energize you and make you feel less tired. Its active ingredient, caffeine, is a natural stimulant. Coffee helps improve several brain function aspects, including mood, memory, vigilance, reaction times, alertness and other cognitive functions in general.
2. Coffee burns fat. Caffeine is one of the most popular ingredients in fat-burning supplements. Why? Simply because it is a natural substance that can actually help you burn fat. Caffeine can boost metabolism by up to 11%. However, this benefit diminishes in long-term coffee drinkers.
3. Coffee contains essential nutrients. Coffee beans are rich in essential nutrients, but once you brew them, they lose a substantial amount of these. However, there is still ample essential nutrients that come with the brew. For instance, there’s 11% RDA of Vitamin B2 in a single cup of freshly-brewed coffee; plus, there’s 6% RDA of Vitamin B5, Manganese and Potassium content are up to 3% RDA per cup, while Magnesium and Niacin are also present in your cup of joe.
4. Coffee helps minimize the risk for Type II Diabetes. One of the many health problems that affect millions of people is Type 2 diabetes. Luckily for coffee lovers, studies show that drinking coffee regularly can help lower your risk of having type 2 diabetes by up to 50%.
5. Consuming coffee regularly can help prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. While Alzheimer’s is a known incurable degenerative disease, drinking coffee may help prevent it. Combine coffee with proper diet and exercise and you may lower your risk for Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia for up to 65%.
6. Coffee may help alleviate the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. Drinking coffee, as a 2012 ScienceDaily report showed, may help lessen the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. Furthermore, regular drinkers have lower risk of having the condition.
7. Coffee can make you happier. Up to 4.1% of U.S. population has clinical depression, a mental disorder that makes a person excessively unhappy, which can sometime result in suicide. Coffee can help you with this. A Harvard study states that women who consume at least 4 cups of coffee per day have decreased chances of getting depressed by 20%.
8. Coffee is a great source of antioxidants. Coffee may be your healthiest “meal”, especially if you always eat Western foods. Coffee has high levels of antioxidants, which can help regenerate cells and fight diseases. Surprisingly (or not surprisingly), these days, coffee is a more common source of antioxidants than fruits and vegetables.
9. Coffee helps decrease your risk for some cancers. Drinking coffee does not only energize you, it can also help protect you from certain types of cancer. In a report, people who drink at least 4 cups of coffee a day have decreased their chance of getting colorectal cancer by 15%. In addition, you may also lower your risk of having liver cancer if you drink the same amount of joe.
10. Coffee promotes longevity. With the many health benefits of coffee, it is already unquestionable that this drink might help you live longer or at least lowers your risk of dying early.
So, what can we say? Coffee is indeed a wonder drink! Get that pot of joe steaming and share the benefits of coffee with others.