Catarrh, An Effective Home Remedy
By PositiveMed Team- Costa Rica Office
Edited By: Stephanie Dawson
Respiratory problems of all kinds can respond really well to alternative therapies. By definition an over-production of thick phlegm by the mucous membranes, this is often the result of a severe cold. Many aromatherapy oils are decongestants, make a blend using one cup carrier oil such as organic sweet almond oil, add two drops of chamomile, pine or clary sage.
Rub this mix into the temples, you can also use these oils in a steam bath. Take a large bowl, fill with very hot water, add a few drops of your chosen oil, lean over and inhale the steam. Make a mustard footbath to warm the body and to help decongest the nasal passages.
Mustard Foot Bath:
1. Fill a washing up bowl with hot water
2. Add one tablespoon of mustard powder and stir
3. Place feet in the bowl and relax for 15 minutes or until water starts to cool
1. Add 2 tablespoons barley to 600 mL water
2. Boil for ten minutes
3. Strain through a muslin cloth and add the barley to a fresh pint of water
4. Boil this batch for ten minutes
5. Strain and drink warm. Add lemon and honey to taste.
SOURCE: Natural Remedies, Melissa Corkhill, 2011