By PositiveMed Team- Costa Rica Office
Reviewed by Nima Shei, MD
1. Choose Green and Fresh: According to nutritionists, vegetables are the best food for your health. Vegetables are loaded with all the nutrients your body needs for its proper functioning. Fresh vegetables are one of the best sources of antioxidants, proteins, fiber and everything your body needs to keep going.
2. Drink More Tea: Tea helps reduce the risk of many diseases such as diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and heart disease. It’s full of antioxidants that fight against free radicals; It also speeds up your metabolism and hydrates your body: therefore it’s helpful in your weight loss journey. Green tea also reduces stress and anxiety.
3. Drive Less, Walk More: Having an active lifestyle, walking more and driving less, all can have positive effects on your body. According to U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, Americans spend 100 hours per year on driving. Daily commute is the single biggest cause of stress for most of us. A british study suggests that 44% of Britons believe that their daily commute is the single biggest cause of stress for them. Driving is also associated with heart disease. The change is simple: Take the stairs instead of elevator and use public transportation instead of your car! If you’re going to buy groceries, use your bike or walk and drive only if it’s necessary. The good news is that the young generation drive much less than their parents. Let’s keep it that way!
4. Choose Positive and Happy: Some other factors that make us age faster are stress, negative thinking, anxiety, depression and low self-esteem. This destructive cycle of self-doubt and worry is causing the aging process to speed up. Practicing different activities such as meditation, yoga and dance lessons will increase your energy and will help you to have a more confidence, which will bring positive thoughts to your mind.
5. Spread The Love: Be kind to others, give a smile, hug more often and show more affection! Doing this will reward your soul and will let you live happy and free for longer.
6. Play: One of the most effective ways to keep yourself feeling young is to spend more time around younger people! The energy and enthusiasm of the younger ones tend to be highly infectious: young children or grandkids will bring happiness to your life.
7. Read Books: As you get older your brain will change, but there are several ways for you to keep your brain young: A great brain stimulator is reading books! You can maintain a healthy brain by eating foods that help you protect it against aging and many disease such as alzheimer’s.
8. Stay Active While You Can: Exercise is the single best thing you can do for your health! Exercise boosts your mood, improves your memory and increases your learning ability. It also improves your mental health by reducing anxiety and increasing self-esteem. Exercise improves your immune system and cardiovascular health. So if you want to add one year or more to your life, exercise more often!