• Skin cancer is the most common of all cancers
• The skin is the largest organ of the body
• Affects more than two million Americans each year
• Melanoma is the most serious type of skin cancer
SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS
Everybody can have skin cancer, but if you check off any of the categories on the list below, you should also check the list of symptoms and consult a doctor.
• Fair skin
• Bad sunburns in the past
• A lot of sun exposure
• Skin cancer runs in your family
• A weakened immune system.
• Exposure to radiation.
Skin cancer can be treated best with early detection, try and be aware of any changes on the skin and make a self exam every month.
See if you notice:
1- changes of color of skin, moles, freckles any bumps.
2- Increased size or thickness or any asymmetry of the previously mentioned.
3- changes in texture
4- is irregular in outline, it looks ragged, notched, or blurred
5- is bigger than 6mm or 1/4″, the size of a pencil eraser
• -Examine your entire body: your face, lips, ears, behind your ears, and eyes and don’t miss to check your neck, shoulders, belly and chest.
• -Don’t expose yourself to the sun between 10am and 3pm
• when exposed to the sun wear a hat, sunglasses and a shirt.
• check your skin regularly to see if you can spot anything different.
• use UVA-UVB sunscreen
• Try not to tan