Indigestion is a general term for the discomfort caused by digestive disturbances, it is usually a temporary problem caused by eating too much of or the wrong kind of food, alcohol, and even stress may affect this condition, some of the most common symptoms are: abdominal discomfort and flatulence, upset stomach, and heartburn.
Infusions can be very helpful in easing short term digestive problems of this kind, but for long term pains you might look for medical advice.
- Chamomile is calming and is good for the effects of over-eating and for stress-related indigestion.
- Lemon balm settles a churning stomach and is another good herb for nervous indigestion.
- Peppermint is good for indigestion accompanied by flatulence and a bloated abdomen.
- Dill acts gently to ease indigestion and can even be given to babies and young children.
- Fennel seed is also good for flatulence and acid indigestion.
- Marigold and lemon verbena make a refreshing digestive, this tisane is reputed to be excellent for purifying the blood and aiding digestion. The verbena gives an intense lemon flavor and the marigold adds a peppery note.
You can also try the following recipe for better results: ginger juice with pineapple
Fresh root ginger is one of the best natural cures for indigestion. It also helps to settle upset stomachs, whether caused by food poisoning or motion sickness. In this unusual fruity blend, it is mixed with fresh pineapple juice and sweet tasting carrot. It can be juiced in seconds and tastes delicious. Make one for breakfast for general indigestion, but for an upset stomach take weak ginger tea on its own.
- ½ small pineapple
- 25g/1 ounce fresh root ginger
- 1 carrot