This is How You Can Treat Bronchitis and STOP Painful Coughing Attacks
There are several natural and inexpensive ways to treat bronchitis. Bronchitis refers to an inflammation of the lining of bronchial tubes which deliver air to and from your lungs. Patients with bronchitis repeatedly cough up thickened mucus, which can be discolored sometimes. Bronchitis can either be chronic or acute. The chronic type manifests as frequent bouts of bronchitis, which requires medical assistance. Acute bronchitis usually improves within a few days and does not trigger lasting effects. In some cases, you can continue coughing for weeks even when on medication to treat bronchitis.
Signs and Symptoms of Bronchitis
If you have chronic or acute bronchitis, symptoms and signs may include:
- Frequent coughs
- Chest discomforts
- Sputum (mucus) which may be yellowish-grey, whitish, or green. In rare cases, the sputum may be streaked with blood.
- Shortness of breath or wheezing
- Mild fevers and chills
Bronchitis Risk Factors
The following factors can put you at an increased risk of contracting bronchitis:
- Smoking: If you smoke or stay with a smoker, you are at higher risk of contracting chronic or acute bronchitis. Quitting the habit can help to prevent and treat bronchitis.
- Exposure to irritants: You are more likely to develop bronchitis if you live or work in an area with lung irritants. These include chemical fumes, grains, and textiles.
- Decreased immunity: This can be as a result of another acute disease like cold, or a condition that weakens your immune system
- Gastric reflux: Frequent bouts of severe heartburn may irritate your throat and make you vulnerable to bronchitis attack.
Natural Remedies to treat Bronchitis
One of the best natural ways to treat bronchitis cough is through the use of honey. It has antiviral and antibacterial properties that soothe the throat. Additionally, honey boosts the immune system.
- You can add a teaspoon of honey to your regular cup of tea or coffee.
- Alternatively, you can mix honey with a warm cup of lemon water to deal with congestion and inflammation that come with bronchitis.
Ginger is commonly used for fighting the common cold, but can also help to treat bronchitis. It has immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory properties that help to relieve swollen, irritated, or inflamed bronchial tubes.
- Mix half a teaspoon of ground ginger with cinnamon and cloves in a cup of hot water. Stir thoroughly and take the mixture a couple of days to treat bronchitis.
- You can also prepare a herbal tea by adding a teaspoon of ginger powder and black pepper to a cup of hot water. Allow it to steep for a few minutes and add some honey. Take it twice every day.
- Another option is to combine a teaspoon of ginger, cloves, and pepper. Drink it three times a day with milk or honey.
- Eucalyptus Oil
If you want to treat bronchitis, steam therapy with eucalyptus oil can be very helpful. Eucalyptus oil softens the mucous in your blocked airways. It has antibacterial properties that will enhance the curing process.
- Take a few drops of eucalyptus oil and add it to a bowl of boiling water. Cover your head with a towel in order to inhale the steam. You can use tea tree oil or pine oil if you don’t have eucalyptus oil.
- You can also apply eucalyptus oil externally on your chest. This will assist in expelling the mucous and improve your respiratory function.
Onions have expectorant properties that help in dissolving the mucus and phlegm. Additionally, the onion juice will prevent further build up of mucus, which helps to treat bronchitis.
Related Link: DIY Homemade Onion Juice and Honey Hair Loss Treatment
- Simply take a teaspoon of raw onion juice in the morning before taking your breakfast.
- You can also use raw onions in your salad or add onion when cooking.
Credit to its antiviral and an antibiotic property, garlic is quite an inexpensive home remedy that can help to treat bronchitis.
- Peel and chop three garlic cloves
- Boil them in a glass of milk
- Drink every night before retiring to bed.
The anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric have been shown to be ideal for treating the coughs related to bronchitis. It also has an expectorant effect which deals with mucus to provide relief.
- Boil a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk
- Take it twice or thrice every day.
Note: You should not use turmeric to treat bronchitis if you suffer from hyperacidity, gallbladder stones, obstructive jaundice, or stomach ulcers.
- Epsom Salt
You can get relief from bronchitis symptoms by taking an Epsom salt bath.
- Add 2 pounds of Epsom salt to warm bath water
- Stir it until it is fully dissolved.
- Immerse yourself in the bath for 30 minutes
- Repeat twice every week if you have acute bronchitis. To treat chronic bronchitis, you can repeat it daily or every other day.
Bronchitis is a viral disease that can be easily contracted by anyone. The best way to treat bronchitis is by dealing with its symptoms, especially the recurrent coughs. The frequent coughs associated with bronchitis can be disturbing. If you are suffering from bronchitis, the above natural ways can stop the painful cough attacks. You should contact a doctor if your symptoms don’t improve with these natural remedies
Disclaimer: All content on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be considered to be a specific diagnosis or treatment plan for any individual situation. Use of this website and the information contained herein does not create a doctor-patient relationship. Always consult with your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.