How to retain those attractive tresses?
The signs of hair loss or hair fall can take different forms. In a way, it is a blessing in disguise because the moment you identify these symptoms, you can right away take the appropriate measures for the same. At least, you don’t have to wake up one fine morning to find that you have lost most of it. Hair loss is most of the time a gradual process and it gives you ample time to rectify the causes that is leading to it. So, you can immediately do the needful and start the right treatment. In this way, you will be able to arrest any further damage to your hair.
Given below are few symptoms that will warn you of further hair loss and the paragraphs that follow will explain the main causes of the same. So, let us delve deeper into the topic.
Symptoms of hair fall
Following are the symptoms that indicate that it is time you sit back and take proper care of your tresses-
- Thinning of hair on scalp – If you notice that your hair has started thinning more than usual, it is best to seek medical advice.
- Losing hair in patches – In this you tend to lose hair in patches and it is usually seen throughout the scalp.
- Dandruff (a leading cause of hair loss) – A leading cause of hair fall, it is of utmost importance to get rid of dandruff as soon as possible.
Causes of hair loss
When it comes to hair loss, there are a number of factors that can be held responsible. The main ones include hormonal imbalance, underlying medical condition, heredity, and medicines. Identifiably, these are the most common causes of hair fall. Let us see how each one affects hair fall.
- Hormonal imbalance – Especially observed in women; menopause, childbirth, pregnancy, and peri-menopause are some of the conditions when hair fall may be pronounced. This usually happens due to changing and adjusting hormone levels in the body. Thyroid related problems are responsible too for hair problems. However, thyroid related hair fall is not just restricted to women but men may experience it too.
- Heredity or Family History – If it runs in your family, you are prone to it. Also, referred to as female pattern baldness and male pattern baldness, it is basically a gradual process that takes effect over a period of time.
- Food habits – The type of food you consume is one of the most important factors that can impact your overall health including that of your hair. Nutritionists time and again emphasize on the need to eat healthy. It is best to avoid junk food, food high in fat, sodium, trans fat, food that have higher glycemic index, and sugary goodies. There are many individuals that will skip meals to look thinner and reduce weight but there are no quick fixes or shortcuts to a losing weight. If you are interested in losing weight, you can always opt for the numerous diet plans that have become popular these days. It is best to opt for a diet plan that will work depending on your body’s rate of metabolism and body type. Bad food habits also lead to hair fall.
- Medicines – There are a number of medicines that will lead to hair loss. If you are taking medicines to treat conditions like cancer, heart ailments, hypertension, anxiety and depression, and bone disorder like arthritis, you can experience hair fall to a great extent. However, this is quite relative and it is not necessary that every individual taking these medicines will experience the same side effect to the same extent.
- Underlying medical conditions – Certain medical conditions that can lead to hair fall include alopecia, sarcoidosis, lichen planus, and few types of lupus. Trichotillomania is a disorder, wherein the individual suffering from it has a tendency to pullout his hair, which is not just restricted to the scalp but also from eyebrows.
Aside from the causes mentioned above, other factors that can lead to hair loss include- excessive use of harsh chemicals like styling gel, hairsprays, shampoos, conditioners that do not suit your hair type, and so on. Also, using excessive hair dryers lead to breaking hair strands and render the hair roots rough and unhealthy.