How to Make your Own Coconut Milk
Coconut milk has several health benefits. It’s delicious and is a lactose-free alternative to regular milk. Its beneficial for those who are allergic to dairy products or are lactose intolerant. Despite all these benefits, there are a few limitations to coconut milk sold in grocery stores. First its rather expensive, secondly it contains preservatives which might be harmful for some people. Cans of coconut milk contain artificial sweeteners and are lined with BPA. You can make your own coconut milk at home by following some simple steps. By making your own coconut milk, you are contributing to environment protection by avoiding hefty packaging.
4 cups water (1 liter)
2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut (about 200 grams)
High power blender
1. Heat the water until hot, not boiling.
2. Place half of the coconut in the blender and 2 cups hot water. Blend the mixture at high speed for several minutes and remove. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
3. After blending it will have a thick creamy texture. Use a towel to filter the coconut then let it pass through several layers of fine cheesecloth to take out most of the coconut.
4. Bottle the remaining liquid. You can add flavoring if desired, add half-tablespoon vanilla extract, cocoa, or frozen strawberries.
5. Drink immediately. This much milk should be sufficient to serve 4-6 people. If you cannot drink it right away preserve it in the fridge for 3-4 days. Because you are not adding any preservatives to your homemade coconut milk, its cream will separate and accumulate on the top. Stir or shake well before using and the cream will mix with the milk again. Once you have bottled the milk, you can freeze it using small pints but make sure to not fill the pint completely, especially if you are using glass.
The best part of making your own coconut milk is that its inexpensive. It can be used several ways including making smoothies, as milk in recipes, or for drinking. The leftover coconut can be used by dehydrating it and making coconut flour or added to smoothies and cereals.
Do not use if you are allergic to coconut.