Hands are always on display, so it pays to keep them beautiful. The skin on your hands is subject to similar aging processes as facial skin, but well cared for hands can remain supple, move very gracefully, and stay attractive naturally. Go ahead and pamper your hands with these soothing homemade remedies:
1. Chapped hands become velvety-soft again when treated with a fennel infusion; in the morning pour ¼ cup of boiling water over about ½ cup of fennel seeds, steep for 10 minutes, strain, and cool. Soak your hands in the infusion for 2 minutes after every washing.
2. To rejuvenate dry skin, use a yogurt and egg poultice once a week. Mix together 2 tablespoons yogurt, 1 tablespoon cream cheese, 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon honey and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, apply an 1/8 inch thick layer to hands. Leave on for at least 15 minutes before washing with warm water.
3. For an exfoliating scrub that will smooth rough skin, stir 1 teaspoon sugar with a little lemon or grapefruit juice and thoroughly rub into your hands before rinsing with warm water.
4. To make an oil and honey massage that leaves your skin noticeably softer mix 1 teaspoon honey, 2 teaspoons almond oil, and 2 drops of sea-buckthorn oil. Massage into your dry, chapped hands. Let it work overnight, wear cotton gloves, and rinse with warm water in the morning.
5. For a moisturizing emulsion that will also cleanse stir 1 teaspoon honey and the juice from half of one lemon into 3 ½ ounces warm milk.
6. Make a daily hand cream by pouring the juice from 2 lemons through cheesecloth. Mix the clear juice with an equal amount of almond oil. Melt 2 tablespoons beeswax in a double boiler, add the lemon-almond oil, and stir until the liquid cools. Add 5 drops of citrus oil and pour into a clear jar and store in the refrigerator, it will keep for three days.
7. Many years ago, badly cracked skin was treated with a hand cream made of milk, but soaking your hands weekly in warm olive oil will also render skin soft again.