Whether or not you are a vegan, you will not want to miss this thinly-sliced eggplant cannelloni recipe, it is not only creative but is also a low-carb, wheat-free meal yet delicious. Believe me, you won’t miss the traditional pasta after the first bite!
• 1 eggplant, cut lengthwise into ¾ inch thick slices
• 2 cups tomato (pasta) sauce (better if you make it yourself)
• 1½ cups firm tofu
• 2 tablespoons Tofutti cream cheese (optional)
• 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
• 1 cup loosely packed parsley
• ½ cup loosely packed fresh spinach
• 1 tablespoon lightly toasted pine nuts
• 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
• 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Puree all filling ingredients in a food processor fitted with a standard blade and refrigerate, then salt the eggplant slices and let sit 30 minutes and rinse.
Set oven to broil. Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and broil 2 to 3 inches from heat until softened (3 to 5 minutes)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread about ½ cup marinara sauce on a baking dish. Place the filling in the center of each eggplant slice; roll. Arrange rolls in baking dish, seam-side down. Top rolls with remaining sauce and bake until eggplant is tender and heated through. (about 45 minutes) Enjoy!